Sunday 12 August 2012

Top Five Best iPhone Endless Runners

Thought I would mix things up a bit and do a top five list of my favorite games in one of my favorite genres, endless runners. I'm not sure of the real name for them, but endless runners will do.

Usually the idea of an endless runner game is to get as far as possible before your character dies. And your character will die at the end, there is no chance to really win the game.

#5 - Solipskier - This is a different twist on the endless runner game. While most games have you controlling the character, in Solipskier you are controlling the ground that the character is skiing on. By swiping up and down you control the height of the ground allowing the skier to pass through gates and avoid walls. You can even lift your finger up and create a pit that the skier will hopefully sail over.



#4 - Tiny Wings - A game I've already reviewed is Tiny Wings. While not really a runner, it still fits the bill because it is endless. Or at least so far as I've been able to get it is endless:) You control a little bird swooping up and down hills trying to get as far as possible before the sun sets. Gorgeous graphics and beautiful music make this a standout game.

#3 - Temple Run / Temple Run:Brave - Another game that I've reviewed before and I still find myself playing it from time to time. The idea in the first game is that you are running away from a group of monkey... things after what I'm guessing is robbing a temple. Temple Run features tilt, swipe, and tap controls with each doing a different thing. Having a power up system as well as utilities that will grant various bonuses will keep you coming back. The DLC is still around, but it isn't really a necessity to buy anything to have fun playing the game. It looks like Temple Run: Brave is just a reskinned version of the game featuring characters from the recent Pixar movie "Brave." I haven't given that version a download just yet but when I do, I'll update the review with my thoughts.

#2 - Jetpack Joyride - An endless runner with a sense of humor, Jetpack Joyride has you controlling Barry with the aforementioned jet - pack as you escape science lab. As you go along you must avoid missiles flying your way along with electric rappers and lasers that cover most of the screen. You also gather coins, vehicles power ups, and spin tokens that can be used after your character dies. There is a bit of a IAP, but it isn't terribly bad or intrusive. I've played this game far too much when I should have been sleeping.

#1 - Canabalt - Canabalt is the game that I would consider to be one of the best examples of the endless runners genre that exists for the iOS. Featuring a retro style graphics and such an excellent soundtrack that the game even recommend wearing headphones. You are running along the rooftops of a city that appears to be under attack by aliens. As you run your character must jump over the gaps between buildings, break through windows, and leap over what look like cars that are dropped from the sky. As the distance increases, so does your running speed until it feels like you are almost out of control. By that point, I usually try to run into some convenient boxes to keep the speed down since my reflexes aren't what they used to be. The game also looks especially great on the iPad and since it offers a bigger screen you won't be blocking as much with your fingers as you play.

No comments:

Post a Comment